Wednesday, August 16, 2017

THE "SELF-RIGHTEOUS" BY WORD OF TRUTH LIGHTHOUSE BLOG BY JULIE COHICK



Titus 3:3-7   " For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.  But after that the kindness and love of GOD our SAVIOR toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to HIS mercy HE saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the HOLY GHOST;  which HE shed on us abundantly through JESUS CHRIST our SAVIOR;  that being justified by HIS grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. "


     Dr. T.C. Horton wrote the following helpful words concerning those who are self-righteous:  "The  'self-righteous'  represent a large and growing class of people. In these days, the  'sense of sin'  is largely lost, and in its place has come a self-satisfaction fostered by much of the literature, preaching, and teaching of the present day. People are self-righteous because (1) They have false ideas of GOD. They do not understand or realize HIS Holiness. (2) They have false ideas of themselves. They do not know their own weakness or the subtlety of Satan. (3) They have false ideas of the WORD of GOD. They do not know or understand its teaching concerning the exceeding sinfulness of sin. Many of these people are living, outwardly, 'moral' lives.  Many are philanthropic and engaged in many forms of  'good works.'... They may be recognized by their use of certain phrases, such as  'I pay my debts,'  'I live an honest life.'  ' I never wronged anyone,'  'If I do my best, surely the LORD will not be hard on me,'  'I am a better person than many church members,' 'I have my own ideas on religion.'

No comments:

Post a Comment