Wednesday, June 21, 2017

MUSIC AND THE EMERGING CHURCH

This is a subject very near and dear to my heart as music has always been a big part of my life. I am very hopeful that I will be able to get a full-sized keyboard soon as I want to learn to play the piano.  In one way, at least to me, music proves God's existence.  As we know, the number 7 (seven) is a very prophetic and special number to God.  It means completion and perfection.  By the way, multiples of 7 are even more special and when you get 3 sevens, that's complete and perfect.

Let's take a look at how many times 7 shows up in God's Word and His creations.  Here's some examples but a few I don't exactly understand such as the first...

7 natural elements that are somehow special although I'm not sure exactly how
7 days of the week
7 years - the land is not to be worked but allowed to heal
7 years all debts were wiped out
7 generations from Adam to David; 7 years from David to someone, and then 7 years to              Christ Jesus
7 years of tribulation
7 colors of the rainbow
and.....
7 notes on the musical scale

Of course there are more but that's a good sampling.  So to me, music is one of the most amazing talents God has given man.  Styles of music change, some for the good, others not so much and as a teen in the 70s, I was raised in the rock and roll era.  I still enjoy some of the secular songs from back then and none are anti-God and, in fact, many actually uphold God. For example, the song "The Pusher" in the soundtrack of "Easy Rider" says G-D the Pusher.  Sounds very blasphemous but when listened to in the RIGHT context, the singer isn't using that as a curse word but is rather asking God to "damn" the pusher for the lives they ruin.  However, never one of the types of music I listened to.  I'll cover this issue later but many times we assume and especially when reading God's Word, we don't read or hear it in its proper context so what you think is being said, it's not in reality what's being said.  We don't have the luxury of knowing the "tone" of what is said and we misread it as love, anger, intolerance or in other destructive ways.  That's why we must take a lot into consideration when reading the Word such as who is talking, to whom are they speaking, where they are and whether or not it's Jesus Christ speaking.  What is He REALLY saying?  "Why do you call Me good?"  To the JW, Jesus is saying "I'm not good, only the Father" but we know, for instance, that what He may be saying in a very hopeful way, why are you calling me "good" and hoping he will say because you are God.  He's once again let down.  But let's move on to music.

When I rededicated my life to Christ Jesus and found a church, I expected to sing Amazing Grace, How Great Thou Art, the gold and old hymns of worship and praise, so reverent and beautiful.  No, it was just like going to a rock concert and the church was filled to the rafters. They were more interested in entertaining me than teaching me the truth.  Jesus tells us that these false prophets will make merchandise of us  How many times have you watched a sermon video or music and then said...to hear the rest, for a donation of $150 or more.....

Freely given, freely give.  Now, at first I loved the contemporary sound and Hillsong's "I Surrender" was my new favorite.  I can even almost sign it in sign language.  If you're not familiar with them, do some research.  They sell you the wrong Gospel, the wrong Jesus Christ, you have to pay a lot of money to hear them and it's one of the types of new churches that grow with the times.  Many homosexuals in their ministry and tell US CHRISTIANS we need to get with the times.  Does the Bible not say God changes not?  So give me the old-fashioned hymns and the reverent worship.  I don't want light shows and entertainment, I was conviction, to learn and grow in His Word.  I will not pay you to lie to me.  Tickling ears, the "in" thing to do.

Should we be listening to this new music to worship Almighty God?   I use to think what difference does it make but I found out, it makes a lot.  Revere the Holiest of Holies.  Be reverent and give Him glory and honor.  If you want to go be entertained and really hear the TRUTH about Christ Jesus's message, go see Trans-Siberian Orchestra.  They tour all year, don't call themselves anything but it is entirely Christ-centered and their question is, why do we treat others so good on December 25th when Jesus said to treat them well EVERY SINGLE DAY.  Let's go back to revering Him and I bet the Church will be blessed.  While I don't think it's a "sin" to listen to their music, I'd be very careful about helping to spread a false Gospel. Just think about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment